Sunday, November 22, 2009

Chicken Count Down

My husband and I have decided to go even more vegetarian at the end of the year. By this I mean, we have both given up red meat about two years ago. Now we have decided to give up chicken as well.

Personally, I have never been a big fan of meat and survived most of my 20s as a vegetarian with a rare, but occasional piece of chicken. When I married a carnivore, I began to eat more meat. When I became pregnant, I ate ALOT of meat, particularly hamburgers, which probably had something to do with the fact that I could smell them cooking all day at work. At the end of my pregnancy, my cholesterol had skyrocketed.

I have always been a little grossed out by raw meat. I have never cooked any meat that was on the bone or eaten it off the bone for that matter. All of the gristle, bones, and veins don't do it for me. So the plans to stop eating chicken is a welcomed decision for me.

Of course, I have stockpiled chicken in my freezer. I last purchased chicken in August and we decided to drop chicken from our diet in October so I have been using up the chicken we have with the knowledge that I will not buy anymore.

Yes, my daughter will also go vegetarian with us as well. When she first started going to daycare we told them she was not to eat red meat or hot dogs. (there's nothing good about a hot dog) Although, we will still allow her to eat chicken at daycare. I will make an effort to make sure she receives all of the nutrients she needs to grow at home.

At this point in time, I have one baggie of frozen raw chicken, seven baggies of cooked, chopped chicken, and two bags of breaded chicken nuggets. So we will definitely run out of chicken before the end of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment